Natural Cold Remedies
Common Cold Virus
The common cold is is caused by host of different strains of the common cold virus. Most are of the Rhinovirus type, with a few of them being of the Carno virus type. The common cold is a viral infection (different treatment than a bacterial infection) that usually affects the upper respiratory tract (nose, sinuses, throat, inner ear, lungs.) It is sometimes called nasopharyngitis, rhinopharyngitis or acute coryza. Natural Cold Remedies can help you prevent, treat and get relief from the common cold symptoms.
Most people “catch” the common cold by being exposed to it from a family member, friend, co-worker or children if you are around children that are exposed to it. If you visit a hospital or doctors office you’re at a higher risk for catching a cold. If you’ve gotten vaccines or around those that have had them recently, make sure you keep your natural immunity boosted so you can fight it off before it causes you to feel down and out.
Cold vs Flu Symptoms
How to tell the difference between Cold vs Flu Symptoms? Both the cold and flu are respiratory ailments caused by viruses, although they are different ones. They are very different from bacteria infections (they are many times smaller) so antibiotics will not affect viral infections at all. In fact getting antibiotics may actually do more harm as it will weaken your immune system. That is definitely not what we want. We need to strengthen our immune system, and fortunately there are many effective ways to do that naturally using medicinal mushrooms and other natural remedies. See Mushroom Health Benefits.
Viral Flu Symptoms usually appear very quickly (within 3-6 hours) and consist of a fever (sudden onset flu fever), body aches, dry cough, and extreme tiredness. Viral Cold symptoms are less severe and people experience a stuffy nose, productive cough, slight tiredness, and limited body aches. Both can be transmitted by air (cough, sneeze, talking) so unless you are keeping your immune system boosted, avoid people with the visible signs of cold or flu.
Common Cold Prevention
Common Cold Prevention takes a common sense approach. If you currently have it, then cover your mouth with your sleeve or handkerchief when you sneeze or cough. Avoid using your hands as you may shake someone’s hand, touch a doorknob or glass and pass it around and have a lot of others come down with it. If you notice someone who has it coughing or sneezing without covering up, then keep your distance, unless you have built a core of solid natural immunity, which I highly recommend you do.
One good way is to take daily Full Spectrum Probiotics (which are healthy bacteria that crowd out harmful infections before they happen. You can eat yogurt or kefir as well but the strongest are full spectrum probiotics. Not to worry or stress though because there are some great natural remedies for a cold or viral infection that can have you strolling by without a worry.
I always recommend taking some natural precautions like some natural Immune Boosting Herbs before I go on a vacation, to visit a sick friend, out where there are lots of children or where you are going to be in a large group of people, particularly from other regions (they will have virus strains your body may be unfamiliar with and if you’re not protected, you can catch it and have a harder time getting over it.)
Natural Remedies for a Cold
It’s always good to do what nature tries to do, burn the infection out of your body naturally. Your body will use elevated heat (fever) to help stop the replication of the viruses and bacterial infections. You would be wise to do the same. Take hot baths with Epsom salts, hot showers or sit in a hot sauna for at least 15 minutes at a time. Three times a day if you can. Drink plenty of alkaline water or beverages. Use the heat with the following best natural remedies for a cold:
- Take Natural Zeolites– Natural Zeolites give you the most powerful protection against even the most potent viruses (Ebola, H1N1, Bird/Swine Flu, Cold, HIV, Heavy Metals, Radiation and even cancers!) Try Zeotrex if you prefer a liquid formula or Zeolite-AV if you like capsules best. Both are great formulas with advanced natural immunity boosting.
- Astaxanthin Supplement (#1 Antioxidant, DNA protector and Immunity Booster)
- Vitamin D3 (The sunshine vitamin builds natural immunity)
- 8 grams of Vitamin-C (Use Vitamin C Ester or Whole Food based Vitamins C tablets, 1,000mg each as they are easier to take at the first sign of cold or infection. Never use chemical vitamins, they do more harm than good.).
- Use Oscillococcinum at the first signs of cold or flu. (This is the best selling homeopathic medicine because it really works. It cuts down the severity and recovery time by almost 1/2.)
- Use Medicinal Organic Mushrooms – Organic Mushroom Extracts are very potent immune fighters and health protectors. (You can also make a tea out of these like Reishi, Shiitake, Maitake, Chaga and Turkey Tail, although the flavor is a little rough for me so I take the caps if I have them)
- Oil of Oregano (Oregano oil is a powerful antiviral and antibacterial that helps break up the symptoms of the common cold quickly)
- Take Probiotics to help crowd out other pathogens and make your body inhospitable to incoming infections)
Natural Cough Remedies
Here are some good natural cough remedies that you can use to stop an unproductive cough:
- Drink a shot of the purest hard liquor (adults only) you can, and drink it slowly as to coat your throat, then have some hot tea, any of the warming ones will work well (cinnamon, or spiced tea).
- Get some throat lozenges that have Slippery Elm Bark in it, as that will naturally coat the throat.
- Have a teaspoon (a few times a day) of organic raw honey (grade B) not grade “a” as it is heated and it looses most of its nutrients if heated above 120 degrees.
- Use Fresh Grated Ginger in a hot tea with Honey. If you can’t handle raw garlic, use Odorless Garlic Antibiotic pills instead.
- Take teaspoons of Organic Apple Cider Vinegar a few times a day.
- Eat some vegetable soup (vegetables are alkaline, all meat is acidic) with sea salt in it (salt kills pathogens on contact).